Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Best of 2007...(in my opinion)


Let me preface this post with a few things. First off, I hate the dissection of music. You either make good, inspired music, or you don’t. I couldn’t care less about where the bass line came in and how it accented the tambourine. If it works, it works. Secondly, I was raised in a household of The Moody Blues, Simon and Garfunkle, Santana and Neil Young (to name a few) and I grew up during the revolution and rise of the best rock and roll to be produced in the past 20 or so years. This is includes, but is no limited to, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins.

This kind of ‘awesomeness’ has left me with somewhat of a sensitive palate. I understand how some may call me a music snob – but I’ve grown (pardon me) fucking tired of the sub par music (rock and rap) to be put out in the past 6-8 years. I could rant about this topic for pages and pages, but I’ll leave you with a final thought before my list – the music critics of this world need to turn off the radio.

(1) Burial – Untrue
(2) Jose Gonzalez – In Our Nature
(3) Kings Of Leon – Because of the Times
(4) Blu & Exile – Under the Heavens
(5) Radiohead – In Rainbows
(6) The White Stripes – Icky Thump
(7) Eddie Vedder – Into the Wild
(8) Feist – The Reminder
(9) The Good the Bad and the Queen – Self Titled
(10) Pharoahe Monch – Desire
(11) Sole and the Skyrider Band – Self Titled
(12) The National – The Boxer
(13) Aesop Rock – None Shall Pass
(14) Arcade Fire – Neon Bible
(15) Sixtoo – Jackals and Vipers In Envy of Man
(16) El-P – I’ll Sleep When You’re Dead
(17) Bright Eyes – Cassadaga
(18) Blockhead – Uncle Tony’s Coloring Book
(19) Sage Francis – Human the Death Dance
(20) Iron and Wine – The Shepherd’s Dog


Currently in the tape deck (as it were…) – Alexander Kort – Friend Or…

No comments: